- Books-A-Million, Inc.16.Dec 2016
Suggestions for improvement
- Stop harassing employees constantly via their earphones and at the end of their shifts by giving them "The Talk" about how poorly they did by not selling the cards and magazine subscriptions.
- A happy employee will make happy customers. The frequent customers do not like being asked time and time again to sign up for the card or purchase magazine subscriptions. Many people who did sign up for magazine subscriptions for a free 3-month trial and who called to cancel ended up being charged anyway. A LOT of unhappy customers!!
What I like about the company
The 30% employee discount. They offered it only bi-weekly on paydays until they offered employees a chance to give their opinion of the company via an on-line survey. So many employees had a negative view of the company that this was one of the things they changed.
What I dislike about the company
The pressure to sell Millionaire Club Discount Cards and magazine subscriptions. If you didn't meet your quota (metrics as they call it) of these sales you were given less hours per week, sometimes only 4 hours for part-time employees and being written up or terminated. Very oppressive environment.
The following benefits were offered to me
- CompanyBooks-A-Million, Inc.
- Are you a Current or Former Employee?Former job since 2015