- Department of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), NY29.Jan 2018
There is a lack of respect throughout the department. Staff is under trained and there is a very high turnover rate.
Support from management
Management supports those who they like. Management fight for their bonus and that's it.
If a person is for themselves. People do not work as a team, they work to keep their job.
Policies can change on a weekly basis and there is always a culture of creating a scapegoat although you may have been given a directive to do exactly what you did
You do not have to do much of anything while at home. The downside to the job is the travel.
You can become injured in restaurants, daycare facilities or on the job in general.
Work is just physically demanding.
Inclusive / Diverse
Most people are from a minority background.
Suggestions for improvement
- Employees need to be given more time for training. Supervisory staff needs to dedicate more time to training and management needs to work on standardization. Management and upper level supervisor staff need to work together so that the policies can be communicated to all staff and not just a select few or those in a particular unit.
What I like about the company
I like that they have some sort of standardized training. I like that the company offers a good compensation package once on the job for 2 years. I like that the company has a lot of young people which can be very attractive for potential employees who come right out of college.
What I dislike about the company
I dislike the culture completely. Employees are more focused on keeping their job then doing public health or even a good job. Management is hostel and that trickles down to the employees. Employees have to do a dirty job and sometimes an unethical job in the so-called name of Public Health.
The following benefits were offered to me
- CompanyDepartment of Health and Mental Hygiene (DOHMH), NY
- CityNew York City
- Are you a Current or Former Employee?Former employee
- PositionC-Suite / Leadership