- Discover Marble & Granite Inc20.Jan 2016
There is definitely an "in" group that focuses around a certain individual.
Support from management
During my time at Discover I felt like I'd get conflicting information from different supervisors for the same task. I only learned to correct myself retroactively because of this confusion.
Freedom to work independently
Understanding there are busy seasons and slower seasons, the tasks assigned were too vast and too much expected with little appreciation.
Again, different instructions from different people for the same task.
Office / Work Environment
Up to date computers, clean and contemporary office setting.
Technologically well beyond the competition
Especially during busy season an employee is expected to do nearly twice the amount of work in their 8 hr day. It felt like overtime in the office wasn't as supported as overtime in the shop.
At first I felt accomplished. I was learning about the company and excelling, progressing. Also I was being praised for my hard work via a raise. However once I was forced to handle an entire department alone, train new employees and take on more responsibilities, the rewards did not keep up. It felt like I was being overwhelmed with nothing to show for it.
Suggestions for improvement
- I'm not sure what the environment is like now, but there should be a company wide handbook or policy to explain how things should be handled to eliminate the sales people telling you something different than your office manager (for example).
What I like about the company
The company as a whole seemed to be headed towards great things in the industry and I was excited to be a part of that.
What I dislike about the company
The following benefits were offered to me
- CompanyDiscover Marble & Granite Inc
- Are you a Current or Former Employee?Former job since 2013
- DepartmentLogistics/materials management