- Howell Belanger Castelli Architects, P.C.24.Sep 2017
You're just a CAD monkey here.
Support from management
The principals tell recent grads to figure things out on their own and then blame you for getting things done wrong. Only one PM cares about younger employees professional growth.
Teams are a PM and you. Large projects only get more people when it's crunch time.
Freedom to work independently
Only one PM at this company will allow you to make decisions on your own after guiding you on what to accomplish. He treats you with respect and patience and doesn't think younger employees are incapable of learning anything.
When a principal is asked about a projects due date, you get a vague answer and then are blamed for not accomplishing their hidden goals on time.
A good mix of male and female, even on the management side. All principals are male, however.
Attitude towards older colleagues
Not treated much better than even the new employees.
They don't care about your growth. They only want you there to churn out drawing set after drawing set.
Overall compensation for your work
Compensation is very below national average, let alone a high cost of living NYC average. Benefits are a joke since they don't pay for them and perks are non-existent.
Office / Work Environment
It's an open office plan designed to squeeze as many drones in as possible with zero privacy.
Zero thought towards environmental concerns in their projects or in their office. Almost all lighting is energy draining, outdated and inefficient incandescent light which are constantly going out.
Everyone goes home at the end of official office hours. No incentive to work unpaid overtime.
None of my friends in this field have ever heard of them. They don't work on projects that will ever get them recognition.
If you don't do everything to their vague, unspoken, contradictory and ever changing standards, your days are numbered. High turnover for a small firm.
Walkways are narrow and cramped. Toilet rooms would never accommodate a wheelchair.
Why do they let messengers and delivery guys use the toilets? Neighborhood isn't the best either. I wouldn't want to be here too long after hours.
Very boring, repetitive and unchallenging work. There are very few good one off projects and they only go to certain employees.
Inclusive / Diverse
A diverse mix of people from different backgrounds.
Suggestions for improvement
- Offer better compensation or at least some perks such as summer hours, not having at least this shows how outdated you are. Even the worst company gives their employees at least donuts once a week. Strive to become a real architectural firm and do some real architecture. You can't expect people to work constantly on projects that they are embarrassed to put in a portfolio and limits their future chances in a real architecture firm.
- The climate here isn't hostile but it isn't exactly warm and inviting. Principals are cold, uncaring and aloof and clearly have their favorites that they coddle and it shows clearly to everyone.
What I like about the company
Not a lot of unpaid overtime, except when projects are due. The people I worked with were great for the most part.
What I dislike about the company
Very monotonous work on projects that would never be put in anyone's portfolio. Compensation is very low.
The following benefits were offered to me
- CompanyHowell Belanger Castelli Architects, P.C.
- CityNew York
- Are you a Current or Former Employee?Former job since 2015