- Lafayette College (Easton, PA / United States)23.Nov 2015
Suggestions for improvement
- Please give more power to faculty. Stop destroying careers with the illusion of visiting assistant professorships. Totally remove students evaluations. It does not make sense to be evaluated by the very people you are supposed to teach and discipline. If you can't hire enough faculty, reduce the program intake specially for engineering programs. Respect VAPs - I remember even separate photographs for VAPs and incoming tenure tracks. Most of my colleagues hated this discrimination !
What I like about the company
Good salary, nice office space, good vacations, nice health plan and pension.
What I dislike about the company
Students decide who gets promoted ! Very high expectations. I was a visiting faculty and was teaching for the first time in my life and they knew it. Yet only my 1st semester's reviews were taken into account. This effectively destroyed my academic career. It took me 29 years of my life to get a PhD in Engineering and Lafayette ruined it for me in 3 months. I had to get back into the industry and it was very difficult. The visiting assistant professor (VAP) positions are nothing but a scam. A colleague of mine had a VAP in engineering and after 5/5 average reviews by students, he still went jobless. Tenure track Assistant Professor positions might be OK but the level of teaching expecting is insane. With students being judge, it is an awkward situation as you can't 'annoy' your evaluators ! Instead of faculty photographs, they have student's photos in their hallways !! While the faculty have access to only their departments on weekends, student keys can open any room in the college !! Does it sum up the situation for you ? So go there if you want to destroy your engineering PhD and want to be a minion of students ! Also, there is a high nepotism with one of the chairs in an engineering recruiting her own husband as a tenure track member after he was denied tenure by another university. Those who spoke up against this nepotism were simply fired. Go find for yourself which engg department it is :)
The following benefits were offered to me
- CompanyLafayette College (Easton, PA / United States)
- CityEaston (Pennsylvania)
- Are you a Current or Former Employee?Former job since 2013