- Lazzara & Company PC22.Dec 2015
Suggestions for improvement
- For lower ranked employees, be a little more understanding and mentoring rather than immediately threatening them. You can't reasonably expect a person not to make mistakes especially when they've worked for you for a whole 3-4 weeks.
- I understand that nothing was promised about the further position, but if I wasn't even going to be considered then just say so. Don't string people along in fear that they may leave to take a different job opportunity, even if it is when you need them the most.
- It might be better to have a queued system rather than seasonal employees just running around and asking everyone.
What I like about the company
Generally, the staff was very experienced and I did learn a few things. Most of the time staff was friendly and fun to talk to. Very flexible so I could do my own subcontracting work from home and then come in during set times during the week. It was never unmanageable and if you are looking for an OK opportunity during tax season, this place is definitely a notch up from the major tax preparation chains. I am grateful I got a chance to work here for a season.
What I dislike about the company
Compensation was ok I guess for a fairly experienced associate (5 years). I felt like I was threatened and treated kind of unfairly after I had an issue with Ultratax not generating a 8949 and I didn't realize it and they caught it on review. Getting close to the end of the season I was told that I would be considered for a position later on in May and was convinced to turn down another job offer to pursue a position here. I was not contacted back and I saw later that they put an ad on Indeed seeking an accountant. I think it was a bit unethical for them to get my hopes up for another position when in reality I was never being considered and they just wanted to stop me leaving before tax season was over, but I did find another place and I do think it is a better opportunity then Lazzara or the other company. I don't think I would want to work for a smaller CPA firm again as the opportunity for advancement is quite limited from what I can see. I also thought it was a bit unorganized at times. My job was set up to run around everyday and ask people if they had anything for me to do rather than having an organized in advance queue with things they wanted done. The system made me feel kind of stupid, but that came with the position I guess since I was the one with the least amount of experience. Again, I am grateful I got a chance to work here, but it didn't come without its downsides as well.
The following benefits were offered to me
- CompanyLazzara & Company PC
- CityClinton Township
- Are you a Current or Former Employee?Former job since 2014