- Olympic Steel Iowa, Inc.06.Jun 2017
Suggestions for improvement
- Change how we look at middle level managers and individual contributors in terms of their physical presence in the office. While it would be a significant change to how we do business and manage that business, opening up our talent pool to those that may not be able/willing to work in the office five days a week, every week, would lead to a talent pool much larger and deeper than the individual localized pools each division currently draws from.
What I like about the company
I came to Olympic Steel with plenty of leadership experience but no experience in the steel industry. Olympic Steel provided several weeks of training and put me through their lean six sigma black belt training program and today I manage a department. I've been compensated above typical market rate for my position in this region and have never had to ask or beg for a raise. They've been very accommodating with my family and on multiple occasions have gone above and beyond in taking care of us. I would strongly recommend Olympic Steel as an employer.
What I dislike about the company
I'd like to see more opportunities for work-from-home positions. The company is ran very much brick and mortar style with only a handful of work-from-home options; most of those are entry level positions anyway. More than anything, this limits the talent pool to what's available in the nearby area which may or may not be the best person available everywhere.
The following benefits were offered to me
- CompanyOlympic Steel Iowa, Inc.
- Are you a Current or Former Employee?Current employee
- PositionC-Suite / Leadership