- Symantec Corporation29.Nov 2017
Generous, with good benefits, but what a pressure cooker...
Support from management
We were there to serve at our EVP's pleasure, and when faced with hard choices, he managed to punt or deflect at every point.
Passive aggressive culture where teammates will go behind each other's backs if it will score a point.
Management doesn't share key data until it's too late to take action.
Advancement opportunities for women were very present.
Attitude towards older colleagues
No tangible age discrimination, although layoffs do tend to skew older, but that may be a function of more senior roles with higher pay.
If you have offshore teammates, you will be required to work to accommodate their schedule and won't be appropriately compensated for your private time sacrifice.
No one is secure at any level of the org in this company which never met a layoff it didn't like.
Inclusive / Diverse
Women and gay people were well represented in senior roles within the company. There could be better inclusion for racial minorities.
Suggestions for improvement
- Management needs to come up with a plan for growth that will enable it to get out of the layoff business. Stop making risky acquisitions and if rightsizing needs to take place, bite the bullet and do it all at once, instead of death by 1000 paper cuts.
What I like about the company
I really enjoyed the opportunity to work with global teams on a product that really benefited users.
What I dislike about the company
I really disliked the petty politics and the cliquey behavior of senior managers and the favoritism they demonstrated to subordinates who frankly did not deserve the praise.
The following benefits were offered to me
- CompanySymantec Corporation
- CityMountain View
- Are you a Current or Former Employee?Former employee
- DepartmentMarketing/product management