- Tutor.com, Inc.03.Dec 2017
Company sends out monthly newsletters that contain tips.
Support from management
The tutor mentor has been very helpful with suggestions but senior management does not appear to be flexible. I've lost out on ratings bonuses both because of an abusive student and bugs in the system but they have showed zero flexibility on these issues. I am a little upset about Management's attitude about abusive student. It does not seem like they have my back on this.
Freedom to work independently
Complete flexibility on work hours and location. You have to schedule pretty quickly when the scheduling opens.
This isn't really going to get you a well paying job.It will help you reinforce basic concepts. It's better on your resume than working say at Walmart.
Overall compensation for your work
It will put put food on the table and maybe pay for your rent if it is very low.
Office / Work Environment
I am a Computer Science tutor in C++, Java and Python.
The vast majority of students are very appreciative. My tutor Mentor has been very supportive in helping me learn tutor.com regulations (of which there are numerous).
You need to type an awful lot as a programming tutor. Th tools we are provided to do the job, have gotten significantly better in the last few months.
Some of the students think you are a paid "program writing service". They log in a few hours before the assignment is due and they want you to write the entire program. Others, want to learn and allocate enough time to learn themselves.
No need to clog up the highways commuting -:). You can be anywhere in the country and still working. I've worked in Washington State, New Jersey and Arizona, at JFK Airport, SFO, Starbucks and various other Wi Fi locations.
Complete flexibility on work hours and location.
You are working on your own . It's pretty safe if your home or Starbucks is safe.
I would break the work into 3 categories.
1. 80% Simple and Repetitious: You will get 10 students asking about the same simple problem.
2. 10%: To complicated to handle with student waiting: These questions would require you to read up on a new field but you can't do that and keep student entertained every 30 seconds. Students will downgrade you when you can't do their assignment
3. 10%Sweet spot: Just enough difficulty so you can learn something new and keep the student entertained.
The following benefits were offered to me
- CompanyTutor.com, Inc.
- CityNew York
- Are you a Current or Former Employee?Current employee